Saturday, July 4, 2020

More Rangers Of The Shadow Deep With Mike

OK, so I had a chance to visit my friend Mike again and hammer out a couple more games of Rangers of The Shadow Deep. The last time we played was back in January to try out the first scenario of "The Missing" for Rangers of the Shadow Deep, and we had full plans if getting together two weeks later to play the second scenario and then the Blood Moon mission. But then the whole world went sideways, and we are just now finishing up our games!

To start, we played the second scenario of the "The Missing." It's a good thing we are both compulsive about keeping our gaming notes, as this scenario required the same Heroes we used in the first scenario, and there were some carryover effects like injuries and disease.

Our deployment

To be really honest, I am not a fan of this scenario. This is, I think, the fourth time I've played it and the second time I've played it cooperatively instead of solo. It's not unbalanced, it's just a tad on the boring side. It has no Clue markers to go after, which means the only big variable is the card draws, and that's only every other turn in this scenario and I hate the card draw game mechanic anyway.

Random in-game picture

In addition to my Ranger, I also had a Swordsman (SwordMAIDEN in this case,) a Recruit, and a dog. Both my Ranger and the Swordmaiden were poisoned by the spiders, and only had one action per activation afterwards instead of two. The Swordmaiden did a lot of spider ass-kicking though. In the end, both Mike and I had our Rangers level up.

After that, we played the through the single-scenario Blood Moon mission. This is only the second time I've played through this one, and the first time cooperatively.  Given the limitations on how many Companions I could bring with my Ranger, I opted for the Swordmaiden again but had to leave the others in the village. This mission includes four additional Companions, so Mike had the old man (Covin) and archer girl (Orla,) while I had the axeman (Seb) and the duellist (Nicolan.)

Set up and deployment (up there in the top right corner lol!)

Mike's group went towards the barn, mine went towards the trees. We both managed to defeat all the basic encounters we faced, and we managed to draw out all three Survivors during the course of the game.

Advancing into the manor grounds

Before we entered the Manor House, we sprung one of the werewolves from a Clue marker. As it begins within the manor, we ruled that it unlocked the door coming out. It attacked my group (because I was closer) and it took a few turns of combat to take it down. The Duellist is the one who killed it after all, which was really funny because when we finally revealed the second werewolf, it turned out that he was the monster! So the secret werewolf killed the other werewolf to maintain his cover! After it was all over, we both levelled up twice, bringing both our Rangers to level 4. Nice!

Three versus the werewolf!

I really enjoyed the Blood Moon mission both times I have played it, and I would highly recommend it. These two games we played were really the second part of the trial run for Mike and I; we have decided that we do, in fact, enjoy Rangers Of The Shadow Deep and so it is what we are going to playing for a bit. The cooperative aspect, as well as the opportunity to choose different Companions before each mission, gives us a breath of fresh air that has been sorely missing from our usual games of the same warbands or armies against one another.

During the course of both games, I was having a really good time just enjoying the game and socializing with Mike. As a result, I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do. I think this too is a sign that it is a good game, since I am more interested in what I am doing that what I am going to be presenting later on. It looks like "The Beacon Tower" is going to be next. I gotta get to work on the scenery...

Rangers of the Shadow Deep and the supplements can be bought here.

No comments:

Post a Comment